Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce

Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce 1 Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce

Rhubarb: it’s not just for pie anymore.

Everyone likes a little tang in their life -and in their barbecue sauce- right? And because it’s sugary by nature (barbecue sauce, that is), it’s a great vehicle for all that rhubarb exploding in your back yard. (Or your neighbour’s.)

And while everyone else is jamming and preserving, how satisfying is it to make your own barbecue sauce? All you do is chop and simmer a few thick stalks of rhubarb, then add onion, garlic, maple syrup… all things sticky and savoury that make a well-rounded summer sauce. If you have a favourite formula already, just add rhubarb to the mix. And then bottle it up and share it with a friend, or store it in the fridge or freezer to slather on your ribs and chicken and burgers all summer long. I’m thinking this will become our House Sauce this summer.

Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce 2 Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce

And make sure you have plenty of napkins.

Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce

2-3 large stalks of rhubarb, chopped (about 2 cups)
3/4 cup water
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup pure maple or golden syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider or rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. grainy mustard

In a small saucepan, bring the rhubarb and water to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the rhubarb is very soft. Pour into a bowl and set aside.

In the same saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft; add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer; cook for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Puree with a hand-held immersion blender or cool and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Use as you would any barbecue sauce – on grilled meats, in baked beans or drizzled on burgers.

Makes about 2 cups.

pixel Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
button print gry20 Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce

May 24 2013 07:24 pm | preserves

18 Responses to “Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce”

1. Sippitysup on 25 May 2013 at 10:07 am #

That sounds delicious. GREG

2. kickpleat on 26 May 2013 at 3:14 pm #

This looks amazing! I need to make this soon to try on some grilled chicken! Yum :)

3. Bridget Oland on 27 May 2013 at 5:33 am #

This looks beautiful! I love rhubarb so will give this a try. I’ll use molasses instead of syrup and see how it goes…Thanks for the inspiration.

4. elizabeth on 28 May 2013 at 1:40 pm #

This is delish, just made some and have puerco pebil in the oven, it will go together GREAT!

5. Maggie on 29 May 2013 at 7:12 pm #

I made this BBQ sauce this evening. Smells delish, looks good and tastes great. Will try it on steak this weekend!

6. Nikki on 29 May 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Made this tonight, my son is in LOVE with it. He came home from work and just stood by the pot, dipping pieces of cooked chicken into it and making happy sounds.

Looking forward to making some BBQ thighs with this tomorrow.

7. Best of food and drink this week | canada.com on 31 May 2013 at 7:37 am #

[…] to a perfect picnic from Martha Stewart – Grilled Citrus and Grape Sangria from Food & Wine – Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce from Dinner with […]

8. Beth C on 02 Jun 2013 at 8:07 pm #

We just made this for ribs. Amazing! have some leftover. How long will it last in the fridge?

9. Julie on 03 Jun 2013 at 7:50 am #

I’m so glad to hear it! I’d think it would keep for a couple weeks just fine in the fridge – it will also freeze well!

10. Fun Friday Link Pack | Jody Robbins on 07 Jun 2013 at 12:53 am #

[…] Mix up your summer menu and try this rhubarb barbecue sauce. […]

11. Julie's rhubarb barbecue sauce | Crosby's Molasses And MoreCrosby's Molasses And More on 07 Jun 2013 at 9:42 am #

[…] Slightly adapted from Dinner with Julie blog […]

12. Kristyn on 14 Jun 2013 at 10:08 am #

was thinking about trying this on fresh Alberta lamb chops tonight – any thoughts on that?

13. Sauce BBQ à la rhubarbe / Rhubarb BBQ Sauce | ReallyLocalHarvest on 24 Jun 2013 at 9:57 am #

[…] http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2013/05/24/rhubarb-barbecue-sauce/ […]

14. Alison on 25 Jun 2013 at 9:35 am #

I was inspired by this recipe and the 3 leftover stalks of rhubarb hanging around to try out the “jam” setting on my bread machine. Life may never be the same. We ate it on chicken thighs, and my 3-year-old daughter couldn’t get enough! I think you are my most reliable source of new recipes, Julie. Thanks!

15. How to watch NBA Games Free on 09 Jan 2014 at 3:17 am #

What’s up to every single one, it’s actually a pleasant for me to visit this site, it includes precious Information.

Feel free to visit my weblog How to watch NBA Games Free

16. Julie's rhubarb barbecue sauce | Crosby's Molasses on 27 May 2014 at 6:14 am #

[…] Slightly adapted from Dinner with Julie blog […]

17. Rhubarberie : Daveography.ca on 13 Jul 2014 at 10:42 am #

[…] Tomorrow I’m going to try Dinner with Julie’s Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce. […]

18. Keentje on 03 Sep 2014 at 9:16 am #

I’m going to try this today! I’m wondering if this sauce could be hot-water bath processed to be shelf stable?