Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

mixed drink mix tape Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

It’s pouring rain outside as I write this, but we’re hoping for a sunnier weekend, and even if that doesn’t happen this week (and it likely won’t, due to the fact that we have both our community parade of garage sales AND W’s very first soccer tournament AND an outdoor birthday party to attend) inevitably there will be some sunny occasion over the next few months that calls for a cocktail. And so for our series of posts on easy/fun/totally doable gatherings, Jan and I decided to round up a few simple drinks that will make your stoop the one on the block to hang around on. (I’m trying hard not to resort to the phrase “easy summer entertaining”, but you get the gist.)

And speaking of casual summer parties, there’s a reason they call it a mixer – the idea is that you mix things up, and mix people up, and mix drinks up… right? and the same goes for the mix tape, doesn’t it? I miss the mix tape – in the eighties, we’d spend hours compiling mix tapes that conveyed how much we cared about our friends/boyfriends/friends’ boyfriends. Mike made me a few mix tapes – I think that’s how I knew he liked me. So since most gatherings involve music (at our house, anyway), I decided to look to our CD collection for cocktail inspiration and make a mix tape for you – of songs and cocktails to go with them. Why not?

Here goes:

Whiskey in the Jar by Thin Lizzy/Metallica: because who doesn’t love drinking whiskey out of a jar on the front porch when it’s hot outside? While you’re at it, fan yourself with a rolled-up newspaper.
(To make ginger syrup, simmer 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water and a few slices of fresh ginger. Chill.)

Whiskey Ginger Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

One Mint Julep by The Clovers (also Ray Charles): this song makes me want to invite a few friends over to lounge in the grass or swing in a hammock (if we had enough for everybody), drink blackberry mint juleps in bare feet, and eat pie.

Blackberry mint julep Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

Orange Crush by R.E.M.: here’s a dreamy sweet treat: squeeze a good juicy orange over a scoop of good vanilla ice cream (or use Orange Crush); add a shot of vanilla vodka for the grown-ups.

Orange float Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) by The Doors: this is a good excuse to make a whiskey sour, which seem to be trendy these days. (Maybe it’s Mad Men?) To make one, shake 2 oz. whiskey, 1 oz. lemon (or Meyer lemon! or grapefruit!) juice and 1-2 tsp. sugar with ice; strain into a glass. Or mix them up by the pitcherful in the same ratio. Oh don’t ask why…

Whiskey sour Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

It’s Martini Time by Reverend Horton Heat: I’m not a big martini-maker, but now I’m wondering why that is. I acquired a pair of martini glasses at a second hand shop; now I must retrieve my shaker from the tub toy area and put it to proper use. For a raspberry-lime martini, muddle raspberries with sugar, then add 1 – 1 1/2 oz. regular or raspberry vodka, 1 oz. lime juice and a splash of raspberry or cranberry juice or soda. If you like, shake it all up first and strain it into a glass with a fresh raspberry.

Raspberry lime martini Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

The B Side is over at Rolling Spoon – Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys, Lemon by U2, Horchata by Vampire Weekend and Little Cream Soda by The White Stripes – with cocktails!

As always, Jan came up with a bunch of fun summer drinks – some not so boozy. They’re definitely worth perusing too – along with your own mix tape.

What’s your favourite summer cocktail? And song to go with it?

pixel Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)
button print gry20 Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)

May 29 2013 09:21 pm | beverages

11 Responses to “Gatherings: Mixed Drink Mix Tape (A Side)”

1. Nikki on 29 May 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Orange Floats with Vanilla Vodka, brilliant! Making dinner for dear friends this weekend and this will be dessert. Thanks! :)

2. Misty on 30 May 2013 at 9:24 am #

I could probably convinced to indulge in any one of these mixed drinks even if it was pouring rain! The Orange Float sounds dreamy!

3. Stacey on 30 May 2013 at 11:34 am #

Ditto on the Orange Floats! LOVE the idea — like an orange creamsicle drink! Stumbled upon this bc at 8 months pregnant I’m looking for more inspiration in my beverage selections, esp as it gets warm and all I want is a margarita! Ha. Looking for inspiration in the non-sweetened dept (only so much lemon/ herb/ ginger water/ seltzer a girl can have) but love the Orange Float and am back pocketing that! ;)

4. kickpleat on 30 May 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Yum!!!! I love that Thin Lizzy song and I can’t wait until it’s porch – or balcony weather in my case.

5. Sarah Galvin (All Our Fingers in the Pie) on 30 May 2013 at 10:49 pm #

You are using my favourite, Bulleit bourbon! I must make a mint julep this summer. Can’t believe I have never done that.

6. Dahlia on 31 May 2013 at 2:27 am #

LOVE mix tapes! And cocktails! Great post, now let’s cross our fingers that the weather cooperates!

7. Barb on 01 Jun 2013 at 10:18 am #

You know, I have really gotten into Sangria the last couple of summers. Red or white. 1 bottle red wine a few ounces gin, couple spoons full of sugar, juice of an orange, lemon and lime and then throw the squeezed out shells in, too. We have lots of raspberries so some of them usually go in as well. For a bottle of white I use summer fruits – peach plum, berries instead of the citrus but citrus would be good too. I’ll leave the music up to you. In my mind, anything goes!

8. Julie on 03 Jun 2013 at 7:54 am #

Barb – I love Sangria. Our standby recipe involves a container of tropical orange juice -but I’m going to start experimenting with other formulas!

9. Steph McVox on 07 Jun 2013 at 9:09 am #

Lime Margaritas and Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville…”that frozen concoction that helps me hang on”

10. Babybel Cheeseburgers & Garlic Cheese Fries » Dinner With Julie on 30 Aug 2013 at 9:14 am #

[…] birthday parties) and a big pot of meatballs, pecan waffles with wine smoothies and music-inspired cocktails. I was in Toronto on Monday-Tuesday and we got together to work on a project and as we sat on the […]

11. heroes of dragon age hack on 05 Jun 2014 at 4:52 am #

Really no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of then its up to other people that they will assist, so here it happens.