Orchid Lime Salad

Lime Orchid Salad 1 Orchid Lime Salad

I’m all about ginormous salads these days – ones with quinoa and barley and rice noodles and just loads of chopped up stuff – salads I can fill up on and pat myself on the back for having consumed a virtuous quantity of veggies.

This particular salad was served at the very first back yard meal of the season, long before the floods, when it got chilly as the sun went down and we had to leave early because it was a school night. We were at a housewarming dinner at our friends‘ first home; this was set upon the picnic table alongside a chicken curry and stacks of mismatched plates, and all was devoured. When I made it myself at home it was far too much for us three – far better for a backyard get-together – and next time I’ll make sure I have salted peanuts or cashews to crush overtop, and perhaps some quickly cooked shrimp or leftover roasted chicken to add to the mix, if I’m so inclined when the moment comes.

Lime Orchid Salad 2 Orchid Lime Salad

And I’m hoping there will be another opportunity to bring something to someone else’s back yard on a hot summer night – as a bonus, this particular tossed noodle salad thing is gluten-free (if you use tamari instead of soy sauce), wheat-free, dairy-free and vegan, and yet all you notice when it comes to the table is all the stuff that’s in it – not all the stuff that’s not.

How’s your summer going so far? What’s everyone doing and making? I want to hear!

Orchid Lime Salad

Adapted from Whitewater Cooks with Friends

Dressing:
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
finely grated zest and juice of a lime
2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 bunch cilantro, washed, dried and chopped

Salad:
16 oz thin rice noodles
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 long English cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
2 cups bean sprouts, washed well
a few green onions, chopped
toasted sesame seeds or salted peanuts

Put all of the dressing ingredients, including the chopped stems of cilantro but not the leaves, into the bowl of a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.

Meanwhile, cook or soak the rice noodles according to the package directions; drain well and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the sesame oil.

Add the reserved cilantro leaves, carrots, cucumber, red pepper, bean sprouts and onions; drizzle generously with dressing and toss with tongs to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or chopped salted peanuts and serve. Serves lots.

pixel Orchid Lime Salad
button print gry20 Orchid Lime Salad

July 24 2013 09:13 pm | one dish and salads

21 Responses to “Orchid Lime Salad”

1. Misty on 24 Jul 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Well that just made my grocery list a whole lot longer! It sounds delicious!

2. heather whitbread on 24 Jul 2013 at 9:47 pm #

This looks yummy – and easy to adapt. I can’t eat cucumber, but I think zucchini will work just as well! :) Thank you!

3. Anonymous on 24 Jul 2013 at 10:37 pm #

I just made this salad the other night to rave reviews, even my 2.5 year old loved it!

4. Vivian on 25 Jul 2013 at 12:08 am #

Thanks so much for including recipes that don’t rely on wheat flour. I am experimenting with alternative flours and seeds such as quinoa and almond flour. They are not quite the same “satisfying” wheat versions of familiar recipes but way healthier.

5. Vivian on 25 Jul 2013 at 12:12 am #

P.S. Have you noticed that a number of stores have stopped carrying bean sprouts and other sprouts due to a concern about salmonella? How about a tutorial on how to make our own?!

6. Carolyn on 25 Jul 2013 at 5:35 am #

Looks yummy. I like your suggestion about adding some chicken or other protien. I got a fancy charcoal bbq this year, so I’m having great fun grilling, smoking and bbqing everything in sight (including smoking cheese, and a low and slow bbq’d pork shoulder). After using only a gas bbq for most of my life, I didn’t know what I was missing.

7. Linda on 25 Jul 2013 at 10:07 am #

Any substitute for almond butter?

8. Sue V on 25 Jul 2013 at 10:58 am #

This looks amazing and your timing is perfect. I have family from BC arriving next week (I’m in Ontario) and will spend this weekend planning meals and this is the sort of thing I’m looking for. I would imagine it would be good for a couple of days too. As always, thanks for great ideas Julie!
    Summer is going well. I can’t believe next week is August already. Then its a slippery slope into cooler nights and back to school. My youngest heads off to University this year and as much as I’ll miss him… it’ll also be a relief! He creates stress for me and I know this is just what he needs – he’s SO ready!!

9. Julie on 25 Jul 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Linda – of course, you could use any kind of nut butter!

10. kickpleat on 25 Jul 2013 at 1:25 pm #

I’m eating a ton of salads for dinner too. Or hummus & cukes when I’m lazy. This sounds so good!! I hope you’re having a great summer!

11. Nicole Boyhouse on 25 Jul 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Well, I’m going to be making this for sure. This looks amazeballs. AMAZEBALLS. I’ve been making tons of pasta salads and regular salads and fruit salads. Salads, salads, everywhere, and now I must add this one to my repertoire.

12. Carol S-B on 25 Jul 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Love the look of this salad (I’ll just use regular skinny noodles since that’s what I have in the house!)
    I’m making lots of pasta salads right now. They’re all different, but often start with a trip to Scarpone’s (The Italian Store): some pasta (penne?); a can of chick peas (drained and rinsed); chopped pepper(s); chopped feta; chives or whatever’s near the front door on the way in (garlic tops/ thyme etc.) for something green. The dressing? into a jar goes a bit of salt, pepper, sugar, balsamic, hot water to dissolve. Olive oil. Sometimes dried oregano, or basil, or a big scoop of pesto. Leftover antipasto, maybe the tail end of the artichoke hearts… hey, look! there’s some steamed broccoli! Chopped roasted almonds. It all goes in. Sturdy salads make lunchtime easy!

13. Carol S-B on 25 Jul 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Oh, the other thing we’re enjoying is “marinated mozzarella”.
    In a medium jar shake the stuff you’d use for a good salad dressing: an acid, bit of sweet/ salt/ herbs for flavour, and good olive oil. Cube mozzarella and drop in. Shake and refrigerate a few hours. I dump them out on a platter with cherry tomatoes and olives, and provide long bamboo skewers: stab a tomato or an olive, then a piece of cheese. Eat. Repeat. It’s a nice way to stand at the counter and chat. Right now, two kinds in my fridge: 1) lemon juice/ salt/ sugar/ black pepper/ olive oil. 2) balsamic/ salt/ pepper/ basil/ thyme (stripped off leaves, and added sprigs as well)/ olive oil. Marinating the mozzarella pulls out a bit of the moisture, and firms it up.

14. Julie on 25 Jul 2013 at 11:09 pm #

Oooh.. that sounds fab! and so easy! I’m totally doing that!

15. Julie on 25 Jul 2013 at 11:09 pm #

Love love love pesto pasta salads. It’s something W has gobbled down since he was little!

16. crystal on 26 Jul 2013 at 10:57 am #

Don’t you just LOVE the Whitewater Cookbooks?! So many gorgeous, inspiring, and delicious recipes! Thanks for sharing this one, can’t wait to give it a whirl <3

17. Susan on 26 Jul 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Amazing salad! Made it for dinner last night. So so good! Even better the next day for lunch…
    Thank you for posting gluten free recipes!

18. Avery on 26 Jul 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Num. I’ve made a similar salad to this using soba noodles. I have a jar of almond butter sitting in my fridge that has obviously been waiting for this post. Thanks!

19. molly on 26 Jul 2013 at 8:39 pm #

… and now we have our menu rounded out for next week (thank you!!)

20. Cynthia on 27 Jul 2013 at 7:54 am #

Having a great summer so far! Lots of Julie Van recipes in da house. Recently watermelon.org has been wonderful for summer eating! Your hummus and your pita chips are a daily feature.

21. Rebecca on 29 Jul 2013 at 7:53 am #

Hi Julie!
    Thanks for the delicious salad recipe! Since my summers are my time to play in the kitchen (I am a teacher with 4 young children), I experiment with whatever comes in my CSA box/farmer’s market trips. I’m also trying to reduce the amount of meat we eat and only use local preferably grass-fed/cage free meats/eggs so I’m really trying to be creative with the legumes as a protein source (I need to get your bean book!). Last night we had grilled corn and black bean tacos and the night before it was pan-roasted chick peas and rainbow chard with garlic scapes. Yummy. A bit harder to convince my carnivores, though. Thanks for all your inspiration. My mom loves when I share recipes from “my Julie”.