Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

Angelica Cookies 1 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

If you’ve been hanging around here awhile, it’s no secret we’re big fans of Tacofino – we’ve been coming to the (now uber-famous) food truck for, like, ever. This summer, it has been my goal to have a) a nap, and b) something from Tacofino every day of the trip. (So far I haven’t achieved my goal, but it was a good one, I think.)

tacofino Collage Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

One of their most popular menu items is the Diablo cookie (above!), a sweet inferno made with chocolate and cayenne pepper. It was featured on Eat St. People go crazy for them. I do not.

Angelica Cookies 2 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

It’s nothing personal – I love the intensity of the chocolate and their dense, chewy texture. If anyone I happen to be visiting with gets a Diablo cookie, I can’t resist a few nibbles. But I’m just not a fan of chocolate and chilies – it’s not them, it’s me. And so when I came across a recipe for the actual Tacofino Diablo cookies, which, it turns out, are made with cayenne pepper, cinnamon and fresh ginger, I decided to make a batch with fresh ginger only: warmth, without the heat.

Angelica Cookies 9 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

Think about it: chocolate and ginger married in cookies, spiked with cinnamon too, if that’s your thing. (I’m not a fan of the chocolate-cinnamon combo either; if I ever make it to Mexico, I’ll fill up on tacos.) The dough itself is extraordinary; dense and glossy and made with canola oil and cocoa, it’s a little heart-healthier than most.

Angelica Cookies 6 text Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

You shape it into pucks and before baking, sprinkle them with salt and/or sugar. I kept some dough absolutely plain, unsullied by ginger, cinnamon or chilies, and sprinkled it with flaky Maldon salt for straight-up salted chocolate cookies.

Angelica Cookies 5 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

And then I did a batch with ginger and a crackly sugared top.

Angelica Cookies 7 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

They bake up all thick and crackled, dense and brownie-like from edge to edge. We named them Angelica to contrast the spicy Diablo (Spanish for devil); is there a better fitting name for a cookie warmed with ginger and cinnamon, two flavours characterized by their comfort-inducing properties?

Angelica Cookies 4 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

And this is not to say that if you are ever in the vicinity of a Tacofino (they now have locations in Vancouver, too, although for me the very best truck is the original at the back of the Tofino parking lot with the tree tables, in close proximity to Chocolate Tofino) that you shouldn’t go and buy one of their Diablo cookies – but a solution for those wimpy of palate, or not able to make the pilgrimage.

Angelica Cookies 3 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

Enjoy!

Chocolate Angelica or Diablo Cookies

This recipe is adapted from Tacofino’s chocolate Diablo cookie recipe they published in Chatelaine and on Food Network Canada. If you’re a real ginger fan, try adding chunks of candied ginger to the dough, too. To make the traditional chocolate Diablo cookies, add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the dry ingredients.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. vanilla

coarse salt or sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 375F. In a large bowl, stir or whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon (if using) and salt. If you like, toss in the chocolate chips.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, oil, ginger and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir (you may need to get in there with your hands) until you have a stiff, dark dough.

Scoop out the dough by the 1/4 cupful and place a couple inches apart on a greased or parchment-lined sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt or sugar, if you like. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cracked and set but still soft in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 1 dozen big cookies.

pixel Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)
button print gry20 Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)

August 04 2013 10:36 pm | cookies & squares

17 Responses to “Chocolate Angelica Cookies (or Diablo Cookies)”

1. sara on 04 Aug 2013 at 11:47 pm #

These cookies look SO good. I agree with you on chocolate and chilies…your version with ginger looks amazing.

2. Laurie from Burnaby on 04 Aug 2013 at 11:52 pm #

I, too, don’t like the original cookies. I can handle your versions, with or without either ginger or cinnamon, and without the salt.
    I eat from the Tacofino truck in Vancouver, near Burrard Street Station, but I don’t get their cookies.

3. Robyn on 05 Aug 2013 at 7:04 am #

i made the recipe as published in chatelaine with the cayenne and i did NOT care for them! (i’m in ontario so have never had the real thing)! I like this idea of just the ginger!

4. Carolyn on 05 Aug 2013 at 10:37 am #

I’ve had these on my “to make” list since i saw the recipe in Chatelaine, but have been a bit hesitant because of the spice combo. Thanks for your opinions and options… I think I’ll give your version a try.

5. Natasha on 05 Aug 2013 at 12:08 pm #

I made these cookies with the fresh ginger (no cayenne). Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing. I always look forward to your posts :)

6. Jess on 05 Aug 2013 at 1:02 pm #

These look SO amazing!! I need to try this!

7. Jen D on 05 Aug 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Tacofino is by far my favorite food truck. I LOVE their Diablo cookies and have made them from their recipe after being featured on Eat St to many rave reviews.

8. Stephanie on 06 Aug 2013 at 10:56 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post! I’m going to make some of these this week.

9. theruth on 06 Aug 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Did Shauna’s family trash your house?

10. Laura on 06 Aug 2013 at 8:29 pm #

These look so different and interesting!

11. Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes on 08 Aug 2013 at 5:00 pm #

These look wonderful!! Now I’ve got a serious chocolate craving :)

12. Maureen on 11 Aug 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I made these today with the fresh ginger, some with sugared tops and some with salted (pink Himalayan sea salt, dontcha know?). They were both fab but I prefer the salted ones, hands down. Mine didn’t flatten as nicely as your photos so after the first batch I just flattened them with the back of a spoon before baking. Thanks for sharing these!

13. kickpleat on 12 Aug 2013 at 12:00 pm #

I like spicy and chocolate together and I know that Tacofino makes a damn fine ice cream sandwich with these cookies! I’m going to try my hand at them this afternoon and with the grey skies that have rolled in this morning, maybe it will feel like I’m in Tofino!

14. Laura on 29 Aug 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Yum! Except I’m gonna remove the spices and add the chile pepper back in lol… Pinning now.

15. Atea on 21 Oct 2013 at 10:05 am #

OMG… Those cookies… They are sooo good that I made two batches in three days !!! They’re just to good to be true :-)

16. Jennifer Jo on 04 Feb 2014 at 11:12 am #

I made the chocolate cookie base and added in a cup of mint chips. Spectacular. http://bit.ly/1br9lr8

17. Mo Moran on 07 Feb 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Wow… I added chocolate chips and therefore had 15 cookies rather than 12. Warning: they are HUGE! Nothing succeeds like success.