Pulled Pork with Peaches & Peach Ketchup

Peach ketchup Collage Pulled Pork with Peaches & Peach Ketchup

Can we have peach week please? There’s still time.

Did something go awry with peach season, or does it always linger this late? Looking at the ginormous bins of peaches alongside tomatoes, peppers and zucchini feels like every year at Easter, when I wonder aloud to anyone who might know whether it’s the Friday or Monday that’s the holiday? And who gets it off again? And what day do you hunt for eggs and eat the ham? And why can’t I remember how it goes from year to year? Maybe I’m overthinking things, but it’s never a bad idea to stock up on peaches when they might be the last of the season.

Awake with insomnia, skimming food blogs I haven’t visited in awhile, pondering what to do with all those peaches (it’s what I do) I came across Delicious Days (hello, old friend!) at about midnight last night, and on it this tangy peach ketchup, which is really like a pureed chutney. Sweet, vinegary and mildly spiced, I was up before the sun making it (more of what I do), which is why I didn’t manage to document its creation – it came to be before there was enough light to get a good look.

I’m not one to jar my own peach halves in simple syrup, but I do love a good chutneyketchup. And a reason to buy more peaches. And a reason to make samosas. (For dipping in said ketchup, that is.)

Peach Ketchup

Adapted from Delicious Days.

canola or other vegetable oil, for cooking
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. tomato paste or 1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4-1/2 tsp. curry powder or paste
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup white balsamic or white wine vinegar
4 large-ish peaches, unpeeled
2-3 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
salt to taste

In a medium saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft; add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, curry powder and cinnamon and cook for another minute.

Add the vinegar and cook until it reduces by about half, then add the peaches, brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, until everything is very soft. Remove from heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender right in the pot, or carefully transfer to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Store in jars in the fridge or freezer.

Makes about 2 cups.

But wait! There’s more!

I made something else late at night in the dark, and because I have two recipes that make great use of peaches but only one photo per, I thought I’d live on the edge and offer up two at once! Does that confuse things? Ah well, my index is an unupdated mess anyway. (By the way, thanks to all of you who offered up advice for my site redesign – I’m not sure which is scarier, home renos or blog renos. But you have great ideas, and I’m happy to hear there isn’t a whole lot more broken than I’m already aware of!)

This is pulled pork with peaches. I did it in the slow cooker and sliced fresh peaches right in, so that they softened/melted/caramelized into the pork, adding sweetness (pork & peaches? sounds like a reality show couple) and tanginess and all that makes a peach a peach, sans fuzz. I’ll tell you there were more yummy noises than usual at CBC this morning, and someone in the control room said, mouth full, “Julie? MEGA success, this.” So here you go, in time for slow cooker season.

Pulled pork with peaches Pulled Pork with Peaches & Peach Ketchup

Pulled Pork with Peaches

olive or canola oil, for cooking
1 3-4 lb. pork shoulder
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 peaches, sliced or diced (don’t bother peeling them)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed

barbecue sauce, to taste
soft buns or biscuits

In a heavy skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat and brown the pork on all sides, turning it with tongs. Transfer to a slow cooker and add the onions to the pan, stirring them around to loosen any browned bits. Add them to the slow cooker along with the peaches, brown sugar, apple cider, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. (If you like, add a glug of barbecue sauce too.) Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.

Pull the pork apart with forks and leave the lid off for awhile to reduce the sauce a bit; add some barbecue sauce if you like as you pull the meat apart, otherwise serve it alongside for people to add their own. Serve piled on soft buns or biscuits. Serves 8-10.

pixel Pulled Pork with Peaches & Peach Ketchup
button print gry20 Pulled Pork with Peaches & Peach Ketchup

September 10 2013 07:53 pm | pork and slow cooker

19 Responses to “Pulled Pork with Peaches & Peach Ketchup”

1. Aimee Wimbush-Bourque on 10 Sep 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Looks like a Mega success to me. I’m still putting up peaches over here. This week was oven dehydrated and canned in honey syrup. If they are still around next week, I’m was thinking of fruit roll ups, but now you have me making other plans.

2. Luka on 10 Sep 2013 at 10:05 pm #

You bring heaven, you do. I just put up 40lbs of peaches in my freezer, opting not to can this year, instead freeze. Some will make their way into these recipes… YES! Grazie grazie.Now I wish I’da gotten more like 140lbs of peaches.

3. Nurse Jennifer on 11 Sep 2013 at 6:05 am #

When I actually get around to making this … it will no longer be peach season. Could you replace the peaches with canned peaches? If so, how much?

4. Nurse Jennifer on 11 Sep 2013 at 6:06 am #

And by this … meant the pulled pork. Sorry!

5. Julie on 11 Sep 2013 at 7:26 am #

Jennifer! I’d use frozen peaches over canned – you can buy them sliced in the freezer section, and they’re much more like peaches! I’d add a handful? Whatever adds up to a peach or two? :)

6. Desserts gluten free on 11 Sep 2013 at 4:00 pm #

But unfortunately seasonal fruits and veggies are not to be
    had all the year-round in all areas and even
    if they are on hand it is for sure that they may not be fresh
    enough to be wholesome. Stay with genuine foodstuff for bona fide weight reduction
    and you often are probably to get secure. You’ve most likely heard you should
    lower calorie intake to keep a healthy diet.

7. wendy@chezchloe on 11 Sep 2013 at 9:30 pm #

Hi! I just came across you via crabapple inspiration surfing (landed on Babble). This pork and peach in the slow cooker almost leaves me mildly weeping. Such a great idea. I have 1/2 a pig and 20# of peaches in my freezer.
    THANK YOU!

8. Donna on 11 Sep 2013 at 10:49 pm #

We visited orchards in the Winfield BC area last Sunday, and brought back peaches, pears, apples, and about 7 kinds of plums. It was the end of peach harvest and the very beginning of the apples.
    We are enjoying peach pies, and I am making lots of jam – pear jam by family request. The fruit tastes so good fresh – way better than we can find in any grocery store.

any suggestions for freezing fruit with no sugar?

9. Rose on 12 Sep 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Julie
    Am considering buying a slow cooker. In my de cluttering / nothing unnecessary mode, I question if I want to add a large bulky thing like a slow cooker. Do you think it’s worth it? BTW
    I got rid of all but six cook books (one of which is yours) and use your blog!
    Rose

10. Lily L on 12 Sep 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Where did you get the lovely Weck jar??? I’d love some of those.

11. Weekend Wrap-Up: The Longest Highlight Reel Ever | Floptimism on 14 Sep 2013 at 10:03 am #

[…] Crunch Ice Cream – I mean….seriously?! Pimm’s Cake Pluot & Poppy Yogurt Bowl Pulled Pork with Homemade Peach Ketchup Samoa Cupcakes S’mores Fudge Bars Stone Fruit Slaw White Peach & Vanilla Jam – No, […]

12. Jessica @ Floptimism on 14 Sep 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Hi there! My name is Jessica, and I run a food blog called Floptimism where, every Saturday, I write a Weekend Wrap-Up post to share all of my favorite internet finds from the past week. I wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved this peach ketchup recipe as well as your post about the “squidgy” chocolate cake, so much so that I included them both in my blog’s Weekend Wrap-Up, and featured one of the photographs of the cake with credit and link back to your original post. I’ve included the link to the wrap-up in case you’re interested. Thanks for such wonderful recipes!

13. Elaine on 16 Sep 2013 at 10:38 am #

Today’s the first of the sweater weather days here in Chicago, and this pork/peach dish is simmering away in the crockpot, and I am chock-full of excitement about tonight’s dinner. Thanks, as always, for your stellar ideas!

14. Links: Peach Ketchup and Baked Ricotta Cheese | Food in Jars on 16 Sep 2013 at 10:36 pm #

[…] Got any peaches left? Make this peach ketchup! […]

15. Cheryl on 18 Sep 2013 at 10:37 pm #

I went straight to the market and bought a pork shoulder. It lived up to all expectations. What I would really like to know is how you can pull off such success every Tuesday morning. When I read your descriptions of how you come up with recipies, it seems so spontaneous. I am envious of your skill to pull it all together and improvise.

16. vanillasugarblog on 19 Sep 2013 at 6:30 pm #

I need to get on this canning and DIY jams and jellies!
    Sharing this post on my friday links!

17. Nikki on 24 Sep 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Made this on Sunday. My son is in love and so am I. Soooo melt in your mouth good!! And everyone who saw what I made asked for the recipe. This is fantastic!

18. Laura on 08 Nov 2013 at 9:40 pm #

My family used to have a pig roast every sumer–if they ever do again I am totally making this ketchup for it! Yum!!

19. Erin on 29 Mar 2014 at 8:31 am #

Julie!! I’m hosting a southern bbq/hillbilly dinner party for my 26th birthday next weekend…and this is going to be my star dish!! One question…what is your BBQ of choice??