Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

roasted sweet potato gingerbread 21 Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

I want to curl up on a slab of roasted sweet potato gingerbread and have a nap. This is what fall tastes like, if it sounds like leaves crunching underfoot and smells like gingerbread baking and feels like the sleepiness of early nightfall and the rush of Halloween and Christmas not so far away.

How was your Thanksgiving? I think this is the only photo I managed to take over the weekend – I grabbed my camera and held it up over everyone’s heads as they served themselves from the kitchen table. Turkey with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted cinnamoned sweet potato chunks, maple squash, mashed carrots and turnips (my mother-in-law’s favourite), Brussels sprouts seared with bacon, that kale salad without Brussels sprouts but with a tart apple.

turkey dinner 20131 Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

This was dinner #2 – the first was at my sister’s house and featured much of the same, plus green beans and an amazing mushroom tart that I promise I’ll track down and share. So fab.

I made two pumpkin pies, and ate none. I always use this recipe – but in the first pie used up the last of a bowl of whipped cream that had surpassed its peak, so to speak, in the fridge. It worked very well. (It was a little over 1 cup of whipped cream in place of the usual 3/4 cup liquid cream.)

pumpkin pie 20131 Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

I did eat the deep dish apple pot pie – a creation inspired by a walk that went late and cut into my baking time – I chunked a bunch of apples into the baking dish, tossed them with 1/2 cup brown sugar and a good shake of cinnamon and topped it with a piece of rolled-out puff pastry. I brushed it with a little egg, cut a couple steam holes and baked at 375F for about 45 minutes, until the apples were soft and the pastry was puffed and golden. It’s really a super lazy pie, but if you present it as Apple Pot Pie everyone gets all gushy over it. And the top crust is the best part anyway, right?

apple pot pie Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

I roasted extra sweet potatoes with a gingerbread in mind – if you peel away their skins and puree them with egg, sugar, molasses and milk, then stir in some flour and spices and a bit of baking soda, you have this dense gingerbread. It would also work with cold roasted squash, or make good use of the second half of canned pumpkin in the fridge. Serve warm with cold milk.

roasted sweet potato gingerbread Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

1 1/2 cups roasted sweet potato or squash chunks or 1 cup pumpkin purée
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 large eggs
1/4-1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, allspice, and/or pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In the bowl of a food processor, puree the roasted sweet potato (or canned pumpkin), butter, brown sugar, molasses, eggs and milk – 1/2 cup if you’re using roasted sweet potato, 1/4 cup if you’re using canned pumpkin puree. Pulse until well blended and smooth. (Alternatively, if you’re using pumpkin puree you can mix it in a bowl by hand.)

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg/allspice/pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add to the food processor and pulse just a few times, just to incorporate wet and dry; alternatively, scrape it into a bowl and stir in the dry ingredients with a spatula. Scrape into a 9″x5″ loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, and bake for 50-60 minutes, until risen and springy to the touch. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf.

pixel Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread
button print gry20 Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread

October 15 2013 12:15 pm | bread and breakfast and cake

13 Responses to “Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread”

1. Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes on 15 Oct 2013 at 12:49 pm #

I’m starving right now and this post did NOT help!! Your apple pie is gorgeous, but I REALLY want to make this gingerbread! Thank you for sharing!

2. sara on 15 Oct 2013 at 6:33 pm #

This sweet potato gingerbread looks awesome! Such a fun idea to combine the two flavors. :)

3. Bridget Oland on 16 Oct 2013 at 5:52 am #

I love the idea of adding sweet potato to gingerbread. What a yummy flavour combination.

4. Laurie from Richmond on 16 Oct 2013 at 11:14 am #

My thanksgiving was spent in the hospital getting my hip replaced.
    I missed the turkey.
    I came home on the Monday, several days early.
    I’m very thankful that it’s over with, and I’m thankful that after I’ve done with rehab I’ll be able to walk again.
    But I really missed the turkey

5. Denise on 16 Oct 2013 at 8:30 pm #

A friend of mine told me about your blog and also “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. I look forward to looking at both of your blogs. Denise

6. vivian on 16 Oct 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Okay…a little off topic BUT..my gorgeous heirloom tomatoes taken off the vine before the frost and wrapped…are now just perfect for ~ SOMETHING?!! Green Stripeys, Black Crim, Manitobas and Golden Globes! How to make the best fresh dish?? Any suggestions please?!

7. Maria on 16 Oct 2013 at 10:12 pm #

I just made it and enjoyed two warm slices with homemade ice cream. That was the BEST use of leftover sweet potatoes ever. Thanks!

8. Chocolate Shavings on 17 Oct 2013 at 7:10 am #

Sweet potato gingerbread? I’m in! Sounds delicious, and a perfect Fall treat — yum!

9. Deb on 19 Oct 2013 at 8:21 am #

This was amazing. Already planning another batch for Boxing Day. Thanks.

10. Pamela on 19 Oct 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Julie, You are such a lovely writer. Pamela

11. List: Favourite food blogs | To Muse and Carouse on 20 Oct 2013 at 2:54 pm #

[…] Dinner with Julie Notable recipe: Roasted Sweet Potato Gingerbread […]

12. kathy on 21 Oct 2013 at 12:51 pm #

made this the other day from leftover yams from making some

added 1/4 c applesauce cause didn’t have enough yam and also some coconut oil instead. Worked really well gluten free
    Thought I’d let you know. Thanks for posting the recipe

13. online games on 25 Aug 2014 at 9:41 pm #

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually understand what you are talking
    approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my website =).
    We will have a link change agreement among us

Here is my homepage :: online games