Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

photo Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

(Black & Blue, Vancouver)

Thursday was a busy day – 14 hours away from the hotel, back near 11pm, and an early start today to catch our flight with time for a coffee and muffin at JJ Bean on the way to the train. And trying to minimize stops to photograph leaves at my feet.

leaves2 Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

We started the day yesterday with a trip to Granville Island – on the Aquabus, just because we could – and ate pumpkin spice doughnuts from Lee’s.

coffee donut Collage Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

Then we headed out to Global in Burnaby for the noon news, and the job was made easy thanks to a wonderful food stylist named Darlene who had everything ready to go when we arrived, and cleaned up afterward when we left. So indulgent. Thanks Darlene.

Everywhere we went, W worked on his Star Wars illustrations.

willem drawing Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

Next was a meeting with the always awesome Robert of Appetite, a chat about photos for the upcoming Soup Sisters cookbook (another one!) and various cookbookery ideas, gossip, and a look through the newest arrivals. Is it just me, or do cookbooks keep getting gorgeouser and gorgeouser?

books Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

From Robert’s office (above the Gourmet Warehouse, which always necessitates a quick peek) we went for high tea in the Xi Shi Lounge of the stunningly gorgeous Shangri-La Vancouver, where they host a traditional teatime 7 days a week from 11-30am – 5pm with live classical piano on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Three tiers of Blue Willow china arrived with tea sandwiches, mini bagels with lox and cream cheese, perfect scones, homemade jam and marmalade, clotted cream and exotic sweets – teeny eclairs filled with sweet walnut paste, thin almond tarts and mango tapioca, along with our own pots of loose leaf tea. What a way to spend a chunk of sunny afternoon.

tea3 Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2
tea Collage Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

Conveniently, our early dinner was right across the street – we had the opportunity to check out The Roof, the Glowbal Group’s newest restaurant atop the Black & Blue. It’s Vancouver’s biggest rooftop patio – and must be the most stunning, with long, stylish couches, fire tables, and walls of flame enclosed in glass. (My description does not do it justice – but once again it’s after midnight.)

roof1 Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2
roof2 Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

We ate crispy potatoes stacked atop barbecue beef, tuna laid out on cucumbers on a brick of pink salt, crunchy macaroni sticks, and chef Ryan brought a platter of meat and seafood done on the Spanish charcoal grill and laid over a BRILLIANT creamy quinoa salad with roasted Brussels sprouts, tiny tomatoes and avocado that brought tears to our eyes.

food Collage Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

Then we were off to teach a class at Well Seasoned in Langley – a great spot notorious for rounding up jovial people to attend their classes. What a fun group. An almost-11 year old attendee, Meghan Jones, even wrote us an Alice Eats haiku:

stuffed mushrooms yum
delicious odd sandwiches
I love Alice Eats

We wound up back at the hotel at about 11, with just enough time to put on Jumanji, attempt to start writing a blog post, and fall asleep.

pixel Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2
button print gry20 Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2

October 26 2013 12:37 am | leftovers

10 Responses to “Vancouver Book Tour, Day 2”

1. Brooke on 26 Oct 2013 at 12:59 am #

I agree, even more gorgeouser.

2. Amy @ Family Feedbag on 26 Oct 2013 at 7:56 am #

A day in the life of Julie sounds deliciously fun!

3. Vivian on 26 Oct 2013 at 10:01 am #

Okay, Fabulous Julie…anytime you describe something using BIG BLOCK UPPERCASE letters…ME WANT! Any chance you might finesse that recipe for “creamy quinoa salad with roasted Brussels sprouts, tiny tomatoes and avocado that brought tears to our eyes” out of the magnificent chef?! (Quinoa ~ my latest love). Oh, I envy you having such fun in my favorite city. What marvellous NEW venues you are investigating and describing for us! Thank you. Imagine “walls of flame enclosed in glass”…Grok would have fallen on his furry butt!

4. colette on 26 Oct 2013 at 10:22 am #

I will be adding tea at Shangri la to my list of things to get done in Vancouver whil eI am here. Thank you!!

5. Laurie from Richmond on 26 Oct 2013 at 1:13 pm #

ooohhhh – I love bagels with cream cheese and salmon – to die for! And the dinner sounds wonderful, too.
    How nice that we have coloured leaves this autumn – it’s lovely to look at, and has made my recovery that much better :)
    I loved seeing you on global :)
    Well done

6. stacey snacks on 26 Oct 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Julie and Pierre,
    Please come to NYC for a book tour!!! I said PLEASE!

7. CalgaryJen on 27 Oct 2013 at 5:20 pm #

W is getting more handsome all the time! Looks like he’s a pretty talented artist too.

I’ll be adding tea at the Shangri La to my Vancouver itinerary next weekend. Thanks for the tip!

8. molly on 27 Oct 2013 at 10:46 pm #

oh good grief, do i love me my vancouver. one of the saddest parts of being so far from seattle is, ergo, being so far from vancouver :( but if you wave and shout out a “hullo!” on my behalf, particularly in the direction of stanley park? i think i will be okay with it all.

(enjoy yourself wildly!!!! and congrats, again, on the book.)

9. jake on 28 Oct 2013 at 8:43 am #

wow, that looks like a lot of fun! Congrat’s on the new book.

Vancouver is such a great city, a happy place for me. I’m jealous. So handy to zip to YVR from YYC for a quick get away. A couple annual long weekends to the Left Coast are great mini vacations – especially when things are blooming there and snow-covered here, but Autumn looks pretty nice too. Off to check for seat sales…

JJ Bean coffee!

Cheer,
    Jake

10. Maureen on 30 Oct 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Okay that is a lot of eating in one day! You went from a high tea full of goodies to an amazing dinner just across the street? You are a pro!