Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw

Black bean tacos Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw

Ah, January. Everyone’s so busy making this our Best! Year! Ever! And to that and, I know many of you are juicing it up, pumping it up, sweating it out, paying your holiday penance by eschewing fat/carbs/protein/solids or being exclusive to any of the above. As for me, I downloaded a “good habit” app and instructed it to remind me to drink more water, and now I turn off the alarm on my phone several times a day and feel guilty about the fact that I should be drinking more water.

black bean tacos 3 Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw

I’d like to say I’m immune to it all, but I do get caught up in the healthy eating vibe, and post-cookiepalooza is as good a time of year as any to realize that Almond Roca for breakfast is not necessarily a good life habit, and a dramatic drop in food-centric parties and epic 8 course dinners makes it a bit easier to wean oneself off the literal gravy train. Most years, instead of dramatically breaking up with all things doughy and delicious, I quietly promise myself I’ll eat more soup, and more veggies, and have more dinner parties. These resolutions are on the roster most years, along with fresh motivation to eat more nutrient-dense things. (Alas, this does not include extra-gooey cinnamon buns. But fortunately it’s what you do most of the time that matters, not all of the time.)

black bean tacos 2 Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw

I made tacos. Tacos! Tacos are trendy this year. You can open up a little taqueria in the kitchen, mash up some canned black beans with a pinch of chili powder and cumin and a bunch of crumbled feta, wrap it all up in a corn tortilla and cook until crisp, then stuff the extra room with Brussels sprout slaw. They’re quite tasty-and fast, good for you and cheap. A resolution all wrapped up and ready to eat.

Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw

Adapted from Bon Appetit, February 2009.

19 oz (540 mL) can black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of a lime, divided
2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
salt and pepper
½-1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. honey
canola oil, for cooking
1 pkg. small fresh corn tortillas

In a medium bowl, roughly mash the black beans with a squeeze of lime juice, the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Toss in the feta. In a small bowl, toss the shredded Brussels sprouts and cilantro with a drizzle of olive or canola oil, the honey and another good squeeze of lime. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a generous drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium-high heat. Warm the tortillas to make them more pliable, then fill with the bean mixture, folding it over to enclose. Cook in the hot skillet, turning as necessary, until golden and crisp. Fill with the Brussels sprout slaw.

Serve immediately. Serves 6 or so.

pixel Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw
button print gry20 Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw

January 09 2014 09:49 pm | beans and vegetarian

9 Responses to “Crispy Black Bean & Feta Tacos with Brussels Sprout Slaw”

1. Jules @ WolfItDown on 10 Jan 2014 at 4:43 am #

Ahhh, new years resolution and how bad we are at keeping them! Haha, I do try and eat healthy most of the time myself, and succeed mooost of the time!
    I reckon it’s important to set oneself promises that is something to look forward to instead of pressurising yourself ^ ^ A few days into 2014, I booked myself a flight for March – resolution box ticked, and I cannot wait! :D
    It sounds like you had a lovely holiday though, by reading between the lines of heavenly grub, I can only imagine the company was even better!
    This recipe looks sooo delicious! And the fact that I’ve got all the ingredients but tortillas and blackbeans (both very easily obtained), makes them soooo tempting to make!
    I wish you all the best for the new year :) Thanks for always inspiring! x From one Julie to another

2. Ruth on 10 Jan 2014 at 7:45 am #

Oooo tacos! One of my faves but I have not found a good source for those flat corn tortillas that are so awesome fried up with fillings. It seems here in Winnipeg all the stores have are those sad boxed u shaped ones. Maybe I need to find some new stores…

3. Nicole Boyhouse on 10 Jan 2014 at 10:37 am #

Julie, my love, this is EXACTLY up my alley. And I always, always have black beans in the house. Mmmm.

4. Julie on 10 Jan 2014 at 10:50 am #

Thanks for your lovely note Julie! Ruth, do you have any latin American stores in Winnipeg? Otherwise Old El Paso in the grocery store in a pinch.. And Nicole – knew you’d like this one! :)

5. Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse on 10 Jan 2014 at 10:51 am #

I laughed when I read the part about you turning off your alarm and feeling guilty about drinking more water. My goal since maybe mid-August last year was to drink more water, and I’ve found that as long as I have a glass full of water around me, at some point, I’ll drink it because it’s there. Maybe you could try that? Haha.

These tacos look great, and the brussel sprout slaw looks very intriguing =) Happy new year and good luck with your healthy habits!

6. Fiona on 10 Jan 2014 at 9:09 pm #

I think a resolution to eat more tacos is one I can get behind.

7. Shelley on 12 Jan 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Yum! Those sound great. I actually made your warm lentil salad sans poached egg today. Love it.

8. Kristin on 14 Jan 2014 at 10:58 am #

These look great. I already love the ingredients, but I’ve been hesitant because the last time I tried a recipe for bean enchiladas (from a site that won’t be named) it was rather bland. I can’t wait to try this one out!

9. Jen on 18 Jan 2014 at 10:25 pm #