Ripe Pear Loaf

pear loaf 1 Ripe Pear Loaf

I have overripe pears in my fruit bowl almost as often as I have blackening bananas. Their fragility doesn’t help their endurance – I stopped putting them in lunch bags after too many came home slimy, nicked and bruised, but they seem to get battered in the bowl regardless, just from the coming and going of their fruitbowlmates.

ripe pears Ripe Pear Loaf

Fortunately, once they’re so ripe you could squeeze them into sauce, they’re great for baking with – no need to peel their thin skins. Grate them on the coarse side of a box grater – onto a rimmed plate to catch all that juice – and add them to muffin or loaf batter. You’d think their delicate floral flavour would get lost in the oven, but no – this loaf tastes definitely of Pear.

Pear loaf 2 Ripe Pear Loaf

We (and by we I mean I) make a lot of loaves around here – for breakfasts, lunches and after school snacks, and in this case to bring on the plane when we go to Vegas (!!) which is where we are now. (Just for a few days – not even three. Will keep you posted on twitter!) I like to have something in the hotel room for little boys who wake up hungry to nibble on, especially in a place where we could walk for blocks before finding something not the size of a buffet to eat for breakfast.

Pear loaf 3 Ripe Pear Loaf

Pear Loaf

3 very ripe pears
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Coarsely grate the pears (skins and all) into a large bowl and add the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Stir them together well.

Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and stir just until combined. Spread into a greased 8×4-inch loaf pan and bake for an hour, until golden and cracked on top and springy to the touch. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf.

pixel Ripe Pear Loaf
button print gry20 Ripe Pear Loaf

January 30 2014 09:27 am | bread and breakfast

13 Responses to “Ripe Pear Loaf”

1. Sue on 30 Jan 2014 at 10:42 am #

I’ve been making your pear loaf for years. One of my favourites! Have fun in Vegas!!

2. molly on 30 Jan 2014 at 1:02 pm #

really? REALLY?! three grated pears?

this hypothesis needs proving. i’m smelling a place for cardamom, here. Mmmm… maybe a little browned butter drizzle….

3. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on 30 Jan 2014 at 1:07 pm #

I love pears but rarely bake with them. I made steel cut oats with pear and cardamom last week and I now have a burning desire to bake with pears! This loaf looks absolutely perfect, I can’t wait to try it.

4. Jules @ WolfItDown on 30 Jan 2014 at 1:43 pm #

Such a simple yet wonderful sounding recipe!

I love when you have a lightbulb moment and think of something to use overly ripened fruits in! A great alternative to the ever so mighty banana loaf I’d say :) x

5. Silvi on 30 Jan 2014 at 3:14 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! I love pears, and we almost always have some around the house (over-ripe pears turn into pear crisp most times).
    Thanks

6. Janel @ Creating Tasty Stories on 30 Jan 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Other than crisps, I’ve never tried baking with pears. Need to pick some up and give this a try (I only have ripe bananas right now). Enjoy Las Vegas!

7. Emily @ Life on Food on 30 Jan 2014 at 6:01 pm #

I have tons of pears right now. I always make pie if I get overwhelmed but bread. Genius! I cannot wait to try out this recipe.

8. Wanda on 01 Feb 2014 at 4:06 pm #

Vegas?! I’m jealous. Hope you have a good time. Let me know what child friendly things you’re doing. We have two boys, but I never thought of bringing them to Vegas.

9. Links: Meyer Lemons, Pour Spouts, and Winners | Food in Jars on 02 Feb 2014 at 8:00 pm #

[…] got half a dozen rapidly ripening pears on my counter. This loaf looks […]

10. Julie Kinnear on 03 Feb 2014 at 2:57 am #

This is great! I looove pears so I always have some around, but it also happens quite often that I don’t manage to use them while fresh. This might save me a lot of heart-breaking throwing out!

11. Links: Meyer Lemons, Pour Spouts, and Winners | Canning For Life on 17 Feb 2014 at 5:27 am #

[…] got half a dozen rapidly ripening pears on my counter. This loaf looks […]

12. Nak on 17 Apr 2014 at 4:36 pm #

I tried this recipe today with my two years old while baking tortillas with my four years old… And forgot the eggs! If you let it dry a little, you’ve got biscotti! Those where wonderful (and the pride of my little boy). I can’t wait to have ripe pears again to try the loaf with eggs!

13. novus plastic polish on 19 Apr 2014 at 12:15 am #

Article writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with after that you can write
    if not it is difficult to write.