Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Grain free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies 1 Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I’ve been holding out on you guys! Sorry about that. It never occurred to me that I’d miss posting my very favourite peanut butter cookie recipe altogether – one I’ve been making for decades, pre-blogging and writing cookbooks. Like, forever ago.

Grain free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies 5 Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

You may know this magic peanut butter cookie dough formula, but in case you don’t, here it is: 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 egg. That’s it. It doesn’t sound as if it will remotely work, but it does. The mixture is soft and goopy at first, but as you stir it firms up into a stiff enough dough to roll into balls. With no flour – of any kind – the peanut butter taste is forefront, and the texture is smooth and sandy. I’d say they melt in your mouth if it wasn’t such a cliché.

Grain free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies 2 Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Because peanut butter and chocolate are best pals, I added a handful of chocolate chips to this batch. You could add chopped salted peanuts, or chocolate covered peanuts, or really anything you think would be delicious wrapped in a peanut butter cookie. Beyond that, the drill is the same: roll balls, press down with a fork, bake until pale golden around the edges. These are fragile when they first come out of the oven, so leave them on the sheet for a few minutes before using a thin spatula to move them off. (Or let them cool on the sheet – whatevs.)

Grain free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies 4 Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Whatever you do, just make sure you have plenty of cold milk on hand when they come out.

Grain free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies 3 Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

You could use all white or all brown sugar in these – I like a bit of both.

1 1/2 cups peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, stir together the peanut butter, sugars and egg. If you like, add chocolate chips too – and stir until well blended and thick enough to roll into balls.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined or ungreased baking sheet. Press down on each cookie with the tines of a fork. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until pale golden around the edges.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

pixel Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
button print gry20 Grain free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

February 03 2014 08:38 am | cookies & squares

15 Responses to “Grain-free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. Jan @ Family Bites on 03 Feb 2014 at 9:30 am #

Um…adding chocolate covered peanuts is the best idea ever! I’m so trying that later this week.

2. Nicole Boyhouse on 03 Feb 2014 at 10:16 am #

You know what I’m going to say, right? HOW CAN I MAKE THESE VEGAN? I think I’m going to try with a flax or chia sub, and see if it works. It might be sketchy, and yet it might be amazing.

3. Bonnie V (aka Shiny Tomato) on 03 Feb 2014 at 10:19 am #

Why have a never ever added chocolate chips to PB cookies?! Brilliant. Great recipe Julie!

4. Amber on 03 Feb 2014 at 10:29 am #

Wonder if this would work with almond butter? Did you use commercial peanut butter (eg. Skippy) or natural peanut butter (with no added sugar)?

5. jake on 03 Feb 2014 at 10:56 am #

thumbprints for jam or jelly? just a thought…

6. Angelic on 03 Feb 2014 at 11:09 am #

I’ve been making a similar recipe. Going to try to lower sugar. LOVE the idea of chocolate covered peanuts!

7. Julie on 03 Feb 2014 at 11:24 am #

Amber – I generally use the smooth commercial stuff, because I love it! But I have used all-natural in the past and it works well too – they have an even finer, sandier texture. Try them with almond butter – I’m curious how they’d turn out!

8. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on 04 Feb 2014 at 2:25 pm #

LOVE this recipe. Plus, you’ve just reminded me that it’s been far too long since I baked a batch of peanut butter cookies!

9. Liz on 05 Feb 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I was trying to make this with some natural peanut butter that was just a little too tough to stir to a smooth consistency, so I blitzed the whole mess in the food processor. Voila! Peanut butter cookie dough in 20 seconds or less! These rock.

10. Julie on 05 Feb 2014 at 5:33 pm #

So awesome to hear Liz!

11. Stephanie on 05 Feb 2014 at 9:18 pm #

I love this recipe!! It’s the most peanut butter-y of all the peanut butter recipes out there.

12. Erin on 15 Feb 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Thanks so much for this recipe Julie! I have made these cookies twice now and they are the best peanut butter cookies I have ever made. I really had doubts because of how few ingredients there are, but I decided to try them anyways. So glad I did. I used mini semi sweet chocolate chips and they were just perfect.

13. Corinne on 26 Apr 2014 at 4:32 pm #

I found this recipe in the Calgary Herald one day, but noticed that the ingredients call for one egg, and your instructions say “stir together the peanut butter, sugars and egg WHITE”. That’s actually why I searched online and so glad I found your website! Based on the recipe above, we will use the whole egg!

thanks for putting all of your great recipes out there for us.

14. Julie on 28 Apr 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Corinne – yes! I used to use just an egg white, and now I use the whole egg. Sorry for the typo!

15. Friday Favorites 10/17 | Alkeks Abroad on 17 Oct 2014 at 1:51 am #

[…] desert I made this recipe for grain-free, butter-free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I would also recommend […]