Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Apple muffins 1 Apple Cinnamon Muffins

W is skeptical in general of any muffin not made of bananas or studded with blueberries. Or he was.

We’re in Vancouver this weekend, me doing shows at the Wellness Show, cooking with apples from our next door neighbours at BC Tree Fruits. It’s Apple Month! So I’ll leave you with a batch of warm apple-cinnamon muffins, which seem to have replaced the usual banana loaves around here this winter. Partly due to the way they make the house smell, and definitely due to their deliciousness, but also because making them doesn’t depend on having blackening bananas in the fruit bowl. There are always apples – I take a whole one and grate it, skin and all – no need for applesauce, nor big chunks of apple which I find often wind up lopsidedly dispersed in my muffins.

apple muffins 2 Apple Cinnamon Muffins

You’ll notice the ingredients are very straightforward, and the quantity of sugar differentiates them from cake, although they’re perfectly sweet as they are and could be easily topped with cream cheese or brown sugar frosting and presented confidently as cupcakes. They would also take on nuts or raisins well, if you like that sort of thing in your muffin. If I was at home this morning, the house would most likely smell like these baking; I’d be in my stretchy jeans and plaid robe and wooly socks, trying not to eat too many while they were still warm (with coffee!) so there were enough left for breakfasts and lunches for the rest of the week.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil or melted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large apple, coarsely grated

Preheat the oven to 375F and line muffin tins with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and eggs until thick and pale; whisk in the milk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients along with the grated apple and stir just until combined.

Divide the batter between 11-12 muffin tins, almost filling them. Bake for 25 minutes, or until pale golden and springy to the touch. Tip the muffins in their tins to help them cool.

Makes about a dozen muffins.

pixel Apple Cinnamon Muffins
button print gry20 Apple Cinnamon Muffins

February 16 2014 10:10 am | bread and breakfast

9 Responses to “Apple Cinnamon Muffins”

1. Pamela on 16 Feb 2014 at 6:08 pm #

I just made a batch of double chocolate rye (but I used 1/2 barley and 1/2 regular multigrain flour because I didn’t have multigrain rye flour) and spelt muffins. Like all muffins I make, they come out with flat, horizontal tops. I do know NOT to over stir muffins, just to combine until barely mixed. Strangely, there was enough batter for two extra muffins (total 14) so the two extra took about 4 more minutes before I could get out another pan and parchment liners. The two later ones ROSE!

Why? Am I actually getting them into the oven too quickly before the baking powder and baking soda can act? I would like to make muffins that had a bit of a rounded shape.

I’m in Cochrane, up high on the hill. Altitude?

2. shira on 16 Feb 2014 at 6:44 pm #

yum! very tempted to make these tomorrow to help stave off the february blues.

3. Julie on 17 Feb 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Pamela – so the two that baked on their own rose, or did they bake along with the others, only for 2 extra minutes?

4. Barb on 20 Feb 2014 at 3:55 pm #

Made them this afternoon. They were delicious.

5. Kristi A. on 21 Feb 2014 at 9:42 am #

I made these today as written, except I used brown sugar rather than white. Have you ever tried these with part whole wheat flour, or part oats?

6. Catherine on 23 Feb 2014 at 1:16 am #

Made these today and they were lovely. So thanks from your New Zealand fan. :)

7. Anita on 25 Feb 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Made a pear spice version! They were devoured! Thanks!!

8. shira on 27 Feb 2014 at 7:03 pm #

I did make them–replaced 1/2 cup of flour with whole wheat, which worked great. I’ve been enjoying them out of the freezer ever since.

9. Deb on 18 Apr 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Made these today with added walnuts and raisins. Yum. Not too sweet, but delicious.