Blender Chocolate Cake

Blender chocolate cake 1 Blender Chocolate Cake

I realize that 90% of the chocolate cakes you see here are bundt cakes. There are two reasons for this: 1) I like dense, damp, not-too-sweet (even squidgy) chocolate cakes best. And 2) I’m pretty lazy; I’d rather not deal with the layers, which require to be dressed with frosting, and I like the sort of cake you can eat by the wedge – it’s easier to shave off a nibble here and there.

And so last Sunday, having just made a round of smoothies, I decided that while the blender was out I’d fast-track the batter for a chocolate cake I had decided to bring my mother in law, who likes a wedge of cake to nibble every night before bed. My standard chocolate cake has a very thin batter anyway; I figured it could be blitzed up like a smoothie and poured into the pan. Right?

blender chocolate cake 2 Blender Chocolate Cake

I was being so lazy about it all that I didn’t even go upstairs to get my camera, but just pulled my phone out of my pocket, and the photos of brown goo it took won’t encourage you to want to make it. You still get the gist? The verdict: it worked, although I wish I had a blender that didn’t require so much scraping. The first cake I dusted with icing sugar to help it not look naked; the next time I warmed some cream on the stove, added some chocolate chips (a ratio of about 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream), took it off the heat and let it sit a minute, then stirred it smooth and dribbled it overtop. (If you want to get fancy, go ahead and call it a ganache drizzle – you won’t be lying.)

Blender Chocolate Cake

If you’re using hot water, add a teaspoon or so of instant coffee or espresso to the milk mixture – or it’s just as good without.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canola or other mild vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup very hot water or coffee

Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a bundt pan really well with nonstick spray.

Put the sugar, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla into a blender and pulse until well-blended and smooth. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the hot water or coffee overtop (it will start to bubble as it hits the baking powder and soda) and pulse, scraping down the sides of the blender once or twice, until smooth.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until cracked on top and springy to the touch. Let cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

Makes 1 cake; serves 8-16.

pixel Blender Chocolate Cake
button print gry20 Blender Chocolate Cake

March 16 2014 12:08 am | cake

14 Responses to “Blender Chocolate Cake”

1. Medeja on 16 Mar 2014 at 4:38 am #

Such easy pound cake sounds just like cake for me :D

2. Emily @ Life on Food on 16 Mar 2014 at 5:35 am #

These are the best kind of cakes. I love simple bundt cakes too. Mainly because they are never heavily frosted and I love cake but not so much the frosting.

3. Avery on 16 Mar 2014 at 11:18 am #

My favourite line: “…who likes a wedge of cake to nibble every night before bed.” For some reason, this has me thinking alternatively of Winnie the Pooh and a Hobbit. Of course, if I had THOSE cakes, I’d be nibbling every night (and most likely every morning)as well!!:)

4. Stacey Snacks on 16 Mar 2014 at 11:49 am #

Photos look good to me, as does the cake!
    This is my mother in law’s recipe for chocolate cake too. Easy and satisfying!

and who doesn’t want a slice of cake before bed?

5. Bette on 16 Mar 2014 at 3:01 pm #

Can this be made in a food processor instead of a blender?

6. Danzy on 17 Mar 2014 at 5:46 pm #

My son and I just finished putting this in the oven for our St. Paddy’s day dinner tonight – heated up a cup of guinness instead of coffee – yikes, hope it works! Julie, will it work or have just put into play some crazy chemical reaction that’s about to blow??? :)

7. Janet on 18 Mar 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Would it work to spray the inside of your blender with non stick spray first maybe?

8. Julie on 18 Mar 2014 at 7:21 pm #

Bette – I think the volume would be too much for a food processor… and if it’s anything like mine, it would leak with such runny batter!

Danzy – how did it turn out???

Janet – not sure it would help.. the batter is so thin it wouldn’t pour out cleanly regardless. And blenders tend to have so many ridges! Will give it a try though!

9. Stephanie on 18 Mar 2014 at 8:48 pm #

Oh man, who DOESN’T want a wedge of cake to nibble on each night? This sounds fantastic

10. Danzy on 20 Mar 2014 at 8:21 pm #

Turned out beautifully moist and with the perfect texture that soaked up the cream/butter/irish whiskey/sugar sauce we poured over it! We are adding it to our list of favourites. Thanks for the recipe Julie.

11. | BHG Delish Dish on 21 Mar 2014 at 7:14 am #

[…] in a blender. Mind = blown. Dinner with Julie is the genius behind this crazy delicious looking Blender Chocolate Cake. Move over smoothies, sorry creamy soups – my blender’s […]

12. Friday Finds 3.21 | BHG Delish Dish on 21 Mar 2014 at 7:22 am #

13. JudyB on 22 Mar 2014 at 10:01 pm #

Serves 8 to 16! Love that so much…at my house only 8 for sure.

14. Blender Chocolate Cake | easy cooking n' baking on 12 Oct 2014 at 8:05 am #