Peanut Butter Food Bars

food bars 1 Peanut Butter Food Bars

A friend relayed a great analogy from Facebook yesterday – it’s as if Canada is in a snow globe and someone keeps shaking it. We’re hiding out on the westernmost side of Vancouver Island, keeping tabs on the continuous dumping from what sounds like the only place in the country where green and colourful things are growing OUT OF THE GROUND.

With no TV, W had essentially no choice but to watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 on iPad approximately elevenhundred times, and yesterday wanted to go into the kitchen and make food bars (as per the movie). He decided that here on in he would exclusively eat food bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and we would no longer have to worry about feeding him. More fish tacos for us.

His plan was to pulverize soup ingredients and shape them into bar form, producing a Willy Wonka-esque mash-up that replicated breakfast, lunch and dinner all in one. But I convinced him that we should instead make something that we’d actually eat – peanut butter bars with oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and chocolate. Pilfering the cupboards we came up with pumpkin and sesame seeds, raisins and chocolate chips, so that’s what went in. You can use what you like, or what you’ve got.

mixing bowl Peanut Butter Food Bars
food bar batter Peanut Butter Food Bars

We made ours in the ceramic bowl with the slug on the rim that’s usually reserved for popcorn.

(Apologies for the photos – my camera and laptop are being temperamental, and have possibly reverted to island time, which makes me want to unplug them both and go get me some fish tacos to eat in the forest. Think I will.)

Peanut Butter Food Bars

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
Pinch salt
1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or sliced almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, peanut butter, milk, maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Add the flour, oats, baking soda and salt and stir until almost combined; add all the additions you want to add and stir just until blended.

Spread the batter into a 9×13-inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Makes 12-18 bars.

pixel Peanut Butter Food Bars
button print gry20 Peanut Butter Food Bars

March 29 2014 01:27 pm | snacks

12 Responses to “Peanut Butter Food Bars”

1. sara on 29 Mar 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Haha, fun idea and LOVE these bars…they sound delicious!

2. Margaret on 29 Mar 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Made them already, and chomping one right now.
    So delicious. Healthy too!

3. Emily @ Life on Food on 30 Mar 2014 at 4:46 am #

These bars looks so good! Packed full of all sorts of deliciousness!

4. brenda metzner on 30 Mar 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Delicious! Out of the oven for an hour and 1/4 gone – there are only two of us! Thank-you Julie, you always inspire me and I tell everyone about you, your blog, your writing and your cookbooks.

5. Barb on 30 Mar 2014 at 5:57 pm #

Are you hiding out on the island until your kitchen is finished?

6. Sam on 30 Mar 2014 at 6:32 pm #

These are fab! Made today – uber yummy. Left out the choc, added ground flax seed and wheatgerm, and still good. Thanks for this one, W!

7. Jo-Anna on 30 Mar 2014 at 7:41 pm #

These look amazing! Putting them on my to-make list for the week – they’ll be the perfect after school snack!

8. Julie on 30 Mar 2014 at 8:19 pm #

I’m so glad you’re loving these already! And no Barb – I wish! I can’t believe what a slow process it is.. we’re still at the planning/talking to contractors stage! Haven’t even broken ground yet!!

9. molly on 30 Mar 2014 at 11:02 pm #

First: THAT BOWL?! Please. Directions. Need.

Second: We had fish tacos for dinner! (Insert Twilight Zone soundtrack…)

Third: Your W and my H would get along swimmingly. H was just inventing a similar food bar for all meals solution.

Fourth: Down with bum technology! (Phone was wiped clean of three months’ memory, photos included, last week. Argggg!!)

xo,
    M

10. Jessica on 31 Mar 2014 at 1:26 pm #

These look great and just what I need right this moment. Do you think natural nut butter would work? I prefer it so it’s what I keep around, but I know it doesn’t work so well in some recipes that call for “regular” peanut butter.

11. Carol S-B on 31 Mar 2014 at 2:02 pm #

Eeee! We were reading/ looking through and that BOWL!
    I’ve never seen one of those puppies with three eyestalks =). You have your pet slug well-trained, W, to stay on the side of the bowl and keep you company while you mix. (JK!)
    -Carol S-B

12. Shelley on 27 Apr 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Made these and eating one warm…..so yum!! And love how flexible the recipe is.