Homemade Ricotta

Ricotta 11 Homemade Ricotta

I’m fairly certain that in some previous life I grew up on a farm, with chickens and dairy cows and those wide-trunked, top-heavy trees that flop over fences and into creeks. Or perhaps I just watched too much Little House as a kid.

We drove back from Kelowna yesterday, stopping in at D Dutchmen Dairy for our usual vanilla milkshake (like thick, cold cream – made with their own ice cream and a glug of whole milk from the Holsteins out back) and to stock up on dairy products to cram into the car for the last leg home.

DDutchman+sign 585x391 Homemade Ricotta

The sign on the barn said that each Holstein produces 8500 litres of milk per year (plus one calf) – math isn’t my forte, but that calculates to over 160 litres of milk per week, per cow. (Never mind urban chickens – I want to keep a cow in my back yard.) I fantasized for the rest of the drive about what I might do with access to a steady supply of so much good milk/cream/butter and how I might smuggle a cow into our garage, and when I got home I made a batch of ricotta.

ricotta 13 Homemade Ricotta

There are plenty of formulas for homemade ricotta out there – most are made with whole milk and lemon juice, some are enriched with cream, others use white wine vinegar as the acid. All you do is heat the milk, then stir in some lemon juice and it magically separates into curds and whey, which you then pour through a cheesecloth. Really, that’s it.

ricotta Collage 2 Homemade Ricotta

The milk/cream is heated to steaming – or 190F, if you have a thermometer in your drawer – squeeze in some lemon juice and let it sit for five or ten, then pour it through some cheesecloth. Isn’t it satisfying to use cheesecloth for actual cheese making?

ricotta 17 Homemade Ricotta
ricotta 19 Homemade Ricotta

It will drain in less than an hour, but the longer it sits, the more whey will drain out – which you can thriftily use it in bread dough, pancakes, muffins and the like.

ricotta 18 Homemade Ricotta

If there’s so much whey that the colander is sitting in it, pour it out into another bowl. (You’ll wind up with about three cups of whey and one of ricotta.)

ricotta 14 Homemade Ricotta

A friend told me this morning his mom used to make paneer in exactly the same way – she’d set a plate on top to weigh it down, which you can do once the ricotta is firm enough to gather up in the cheesecloth. The more whey you press out, the firmer and drier your cheese will be.

ricotta 20 Homemade Ricotta

Ricotta is great in cheesecake, divine on pizza and tossed into pasta, spread on toast or crostini and drizzled with honey, and a soft, spreadable ball is perfect for a cheese board or brunch. Also? I find it immensely satisfying to have a bundle of fresh, homemade cheese wrapped in cheesecloth in the fridge. It’s almost like having my own cow. But I get to keep my lawn, too.

Ricotta Collage Homemade Ricotta

This formula makes about a cup – enough for a nice little ramekin for your breakfast table or to add to a recipe. Quantities are easily doubled – and the process is the same. I brought some to CBC this morning with a batch of cherry-rhubarb preserves – I simmered frozen rhubarb (gotta get rid of last year’s stash) and the last of a bag of frozen cherries on the stovetop with about a cup of sugar until it all got soft and jammy. Perfect with the smooth, creamy ricotta and a crusty, chewy baguette.

ricotta 23 Homemade Ricotta

Homemade Ricotta

This method and ratio is very close to a lot of recipes out there, like this one and this one. I used 2 1/2 cups 2% milk and 1 1/2 cups half & half – so long as you don’t go below 2% you should be fine.

4 cups whole milk, or some 2% and some heavy cream or half & half
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
the juice of a juicy lemon (3 Tbsp.)

In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the milk (and cream, if you’re using it) and salt over medium-high heat until it’s steaming – if you have a thermometer, it should read 190F. Stir it occasionally to keep it from scorching on the bottom.

Remove the pot from the heat and gently stir in the lemon juice, only stirring a couple times. Let it sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes.

Line a colander or sieve with a double thickness of cheesecloth and set it in a large bowl; pour in the curds and whey. (If the whey is too deep and the colander is sitting in it, you can pour it off into another bowl.) Let the ricotta sit for an hour or so – the longer it drains, the drier it will be. Place a plate on top of it if you want to press out as much whey as possible.

Makes about 1 cup of ricotta.

pixel Homemade Ricotta
button print gry20 Homemade Ricotta

May 13 2014 04:20 pm | cheese

14 Responses to “Homemade Ricotta”

1. Misty on 13 May 2014 at 4:29 pm #

This makes me crave a pasta and spicy sausage in a red sauce with dollops of fresh ricotta.

2. christine on 13 May 2014 at 7:37 pm #

I can’t wait to try this. We were in Chicago last weekend and I had a calzone to die for at Eataly, Mario Batali’s Costco size Italian eatery/market. It had spicy tomato sauce, rosemary parma ham and fresh ricotta. Amazing. Since I don’t have a wood pizza oven (yet) we are making pizza tonight in my son’s Big Green Egg. Hope to make the ricotta this weekend and then try to recreate the calzone. Thanks for all the cool things you show us!

3. Julie on 13 May 2014 at 8:16 pm #

Pizza in a Big Green Egg! Cool!!

4. Jo on 13 May 2014 at 8:39 pm #

I make this every so often with cultured buttermilk without the lemon juice or vinegar. The buttermilk has the right amount of acidity. I always forget about the whey in the back of the fridge, though.

5. Karen @ The Food Charlatan on 13 May 2014 at 11:09 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial Julie, I’ve been wanting to make ricotta forever! It looks so pretty, I’m not sure how you managed that. :)

6. Jules @ WolfItDown on 14 May 2014 at 2:26 am #

This looks wonderful Julie, I had no idea it was this easy to make ricotta! I remember in primary school, our teacher showed us how to make cottage cheese, and it was deliious, although I wasn’t familiar with that slightly lumpy texture. I might give this a go, I am really tempted too! Do you have any reciped for baked goods you’ve made with the whey that is leftover? Or is it just like using water/milk?

I hope you have a lovely day :) x

7. Laurie from Richmond on 14 May 2014 at 10:14 am #

That’s the same way we made cottage cheese when I was a kid. How do you get it to be smooth the way ricotta is instead of little lumps like cottage cheese?

8. Julie on 14 May 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Laurie – it has the same texture as store bought ricotta – not big lumps like cottage cheese.

Jules – I’m using it in Julia Child’s white bread now – will let you know how it goes! And yes, I just use it in pancake/muffin batter in place of some of the milk.

9. Cookie Maker on 15 May 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Help! I quadrupled your recipe, with a big jug of whole milk from Costco. . . .and followed the instructions. … 190 degrees, lemon juice. Waited 10 minutes. . .. Got excited when I saw curds floating on top. . . . strained in cheesecloth. .. noticed there was still a lot of “milk” as opposed to curds and whey. . .. kept pouring . .. . stupidly poured out the milk . .. . wasted . . . .left with less than 1/2 cup of ricotta!! What just happened??! Should I stick with smaller batches next time? Does the recipe not allow for multiplying amounts? 190 degrees means just short of boiling, right? (I don’t completely trust my thermometer). . .. so lots of steam, very hot milk just starting to bubble on top? So disappointed!! Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks so much. I love the idea of making my own ricotta and don’t know what went wrong.

10. CourtneyNYC on 18 May 2014 at 8:38 pm #

So, I was very excited about making this recipe and it was a total fail. I poured four cups of whole milk into a saucepan, added a little salt, and consistently stirred until the milk steamed. I turned the burner off, added 3 Tbs of lemon juice, let sit for ten minutes, and then poured the mixture into a colander lined with cheesecloth. And that when things really caput. Milk was straining through, opposed to whey. I ended up with about two tablespoons of ricotta when it was all said and done. :( What did I do wrong? Was there something wrong with the lemon juice I used. I mean, it came right from a lemon. Or perhaps the temp was off? Should I have left it on the burner longer? I mean, I was fairly cautious to keep it from boiling. I know I can totally do this. Please let me what I did wrong so I can give this another go.

11. Julie on 21 May 2014 at 10:18 pm #

Oh no Courtney! Did you use a thermometer and bring it up to the right temperature? or just heat it until it steamed?

12. CourtneyNYC on 24 May 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Thank you for your reply, Julie. I went to the store and bought a thermometer .. long overdue! I gave it another go and it worked! We enjoyed amazing homemade ricotta with a fresh homemade banquette. Yum! Thank you for the recipe. It’s a keeper, for sure!

13. www.traveltabloid.co.uk on 26 Jun 2014 at 1:33 pm #

ohh great! what a nice, easy recipe of ricotta made at home!!! it’s too amazing and simple.. lots of love for you dear Julie

14. domain on 25 Aug 2014 at 2:00 am #

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice even as
    you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for
    a blog site? The account aided me a appropriate deal.

I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast
    provided vibrant clear concept