Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble

strawberry rhubarb crumble 1 Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

I have a bit of a rhubarb problem.

The problem is, when I see an enormous crown of it in someone’s back yard, or if I’m offered up an armful of it, I can’t resist – even though we’re trying to clear out the kitchen and whittle the contents of the fridge down into the little bar-sized one in the garage and the already-full chest freezer in the basement. And yet I keep cramming our newly excavated spaces with freezer bags full of chopped rhubarb. Because it’s there. And it’s free. And it just keeps on growing.

strawberry rhubarb crumble 4 Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

I could easily live on pie for these 8 weeks of summer, but daily pastry is not the best choice from a time and waistline perspective. And so often I resort to crumble – which is almost like pie, with all its best elements in easy-to-bake, scoopable form. And if you haven’t had cold crumble with a big spoonful of thick Greek yogurt on the back porch with coffee for breakfast in the morning, you haven’t fully experienced summer yet.

strawberry rhubarb crumble 3 Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Because a warm crumble on the countertop leaves me prone to picking, sometimes I’ll divvy up the mixture between two smaller dishes (or cast iron skillets, as I tend to favour) and send one over to a neighbour. The problem with this scenario is no leftovers for breakfast.

strawberry rhubarb crumble 2 Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

I’ve also been known to blitz up a big batch of the crumble mixture to keep in a bag in the freezer (alongside the rhubarb) for dessert emergencies. All you need to do is toss your choice of fruit, chunked if it needs it, with sugar and cornstarch and upend the bag overtop for a nearly instant summer dessert. (Minus baking time, of course.)

It goes without saying that in July there should always be vanilla ice cream or whipping cream within easy access.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble

Peaches would do well here too, when they arrive… or raspberries, blackberries, plums – you get the idea. Measurements are pretty lax – unlike a pie, it’s not a big deal if your crumble is a little runny in the bottom. And to be honest, when I do a crumble I toss roughly equal amounts of butter, sugar, flour and oats into a food processor and pulse until crumbly – you don’t have to be precise here, either.

3-4 cups chopped rhubarb
3-4 cups hulled, halved strawberries
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Crumble:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
3/4 cup flour
pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 350F. To make the filling, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl or directly in your baking dish; spread it out in the dish.

To make the crumble, blend all the ingredients in a bowl with a fork or your fingers, or pulse it in the food processor until well combined and crumbly. Sprinkle it over the fruit, squeezing to create larger clumps as you go.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until golden and bubbly around the edges. Serves 8.

pixel Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
button print gry20 Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

July 12 2014 07:23 pm | dessert

12 Responses to “Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble”

1. Erica B. on 12 Jul 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Our new place has an abundance of rhubarb in the back yard. This is going on the menu this week. Thanks!

2. Jules @ WolfItDown on 13 Jul 2014 at 2:34 am #

This looks too darn good! I wish I had rhubarb-growing neighbours…or a garden! Thankfully the shop is nearby (I know it’s not the saaame though, sigh), this looks magnificent!

I hope you’re having a great weekend :) x

3. Stephanie on 13 Jul 2014 at 4:09 pm #

I am so with you on the cold crumble with greek yogurt.. divine!

4. elaine on 14 Jul 2014 at 9:36 am #

With the cast iron skillet and everything, this looks like an ideal adaptable-to-a-grill recipe if, say, you’re in the process of a kitchen renovation. Have you tried grilling it?

5. Anonymous on 14 Jul 2014 at 9:40 am #

Set up a rhubarb bank already. I’m one who has more than I can use and like to share it , along with my recipes.

6. Maureen on 14 Jul 2014 at 9:24 pm #

We JUST finished up a big pan of strawberry, rhubarb, saskatoon crumble tonight. I’ve eaten it at breakfast, lunch, dinner and as a random snack. I also made stewed strawberry rhubarb which I’ve been mixing with cottage cheese for breakfast … or eating straight from the container. All thanks to a bountiful gift from a friend’s yard. yummmmmm

7. Nour @ GreenShushi on 15 Jul 2014 at 12:52 pm #

Lovely! My husband’s favourite.

8. Annick on 16 Jul 2014 at 6:13 am #

I tried it yesterday as a big test to all my men and their loved of rhubarb : with all your incredible receipe they all loved it! Yeah I got rhubarb lover at home now and with the huge bank that our new place have I’ll eat a lot of them!

9. real estate investing on 27 Jul 2014 at 12:16 am #

No current Reeves tenants will need to be relocated until the new
    Reeves Center is finished in approximately three years.
    I was thinking of not writing tonight, but some really cool connections
    from the past few years and my childhood came together, and I simply have to share
    them. Wholesaling is the foundation that quickly injects large chunks
    of capital into your home buying business. These parabolic troughs are lined with mirrors
    that due to the parabolic effect concentrate the reflected solar energy on a
    central point. Authorizing the Executive Director to execute the
    necessary documents. Checking your yellow pages, search
    for investors and contact few, you can ask several questions
    about their experiences, definitely, you will learn from
    them. It is a proven fact that with globalization and
    urbanization, local cultures are threatened. ‘ before the ‘R’ so it’s at the top of your folder list-where it belongs.
    Perform all management and renting functions complying
    with State and. “Most people who come here have never tried Guinness, but if they stick with it, they often do acquire a taste that cannot be denied.

Here is my web site: real estate investing

10. bodycon Dress patterns on 30 Jul 2014 at 10:14 am #

There are those who don’t like the shopping
    experience. Resources may grace with your presence to related topics,
    such as grooming, fashion, and etiquette and not just fashion modeling alone.

Make room for your trendy new wardrobe by going through your old
    clothes and getting rid of unwanted clothes.

My page; bodycon Dress patterns

11. chloe sims starship tanning booth on 02 Aug 2014 at 10:24 am #

Most are made with canvas or polyurethane that
    is both durable and ultra thick. Spray tanning makes the
    skin golden brown, and not orange. Social studies have shown that men and women both
    view a tanned body as being healthier than a tanned body,
    but it is worth bearing in mind that if a sunbed is used for more than the recommended amount of time, there is likely an ugly truth hiding
    behind apparently healthy tanned skin.

my site: chloe sims starship tanning booth

12. fiberglass isotherm marine refrigerators on 25 Aug 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Everyone wants cheap bait these days but the big problem is that cheap often means rubbish.
    At times, your sailing instructor may need to issue an order and have it followed immediately.
    Revealed in my unique readymade bait and homemade bait carp
    and catfish bait secrets ebooks is far more powerful information look up my unique website
    (Baitbigfish) and see my biography below for details of my ebooks deals right now.

my website :: fiberglass isotherm marine refrigerators